Had not made labna for a while now and was very happy to have found fresh oregano, which I believe goes particularly well with the labna balls.
You might think that it is a waste of oil…it is not…the oil can and should be used for many more yummy receipes…it will be infused with labna cheese and fresh oregano…so can be drizzled over pasta, a salad, etc.
Home made labna balls
- 1 sieve
- 1 larger bowl
- 1 linen cloth
- 1 kg 10% fat Greek youghurt the more fat the youghurt has, the creamer the labna will be
- 2 tea spoons sea salt
- 1 bunch fresh oregano can be substituted with any fresh or dried herb
- olive oil enough to cover the balls
- Lay the linen cloth over the sieve and place the Greek youghurt mixed with salt into it
- Place the sieve over the large bowl and tie the linen cloth with a cotton string as tight as possible
- Place the bowl into the fridge for minimum 24 hours. I place mine for 48 hours
- Open the cloth once you have finised draining the youghurt and delicately, with your fingers, roll small labna balls
- Add the oregano leaves and olive oil and ensure to close the jar completely before storing it in the fridge. The covered labna balls with keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.