I have posted this delicious summery fish stew before…but not as a full receipe. For me this stew works particularly well with rice – I used black venere rice, which gave this dish a hearty touch as this rice stays “al dente”. You can equally serve this dish with a nice baguette.
Moqueca de peixe - Brasilian fish stew
- 600 g firm white fish I like to use cod
- 500 g shrimps up to you if you prefer smaller ones or larger ones. I used larger ones
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 limes I used the juice and the zest
- coriander I used nearly half a bunch
- salt and pepper
- 3 middle sized tomatoes or several cherry tomatoes - cut into small cubes
- 2 small onions I like to use red onions and chop them very finely
- 1 pepperoni cut into small cubes
- 200 ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 table spoons olive oil
- 1 table spoon paprika powder up to you if you would like to use a spicy powder or not
- Press the garlic into a small bowl, add the lime juice and zest as well as some finely chopped coriander, salt and pepper. Set the marinade aside.
- Cut both the fish and the shrimps into cubes of about 2 cm. You don't want the fish/shrimps to fall apart while they are cooking, but you also don't want to have to use a knive while eating the stew. Cover the fish and shrimp pieces with the marinate and let it amalgamate for a good 30 mins. Unless it is very hot, there is not need to put the mixture into the fridge.
- In the meantime roast the finely chopped onions in the olive oil. Don't let the onions burn, you just want them to give some roast aroma to the olive oil before adding first the pepperoni cubes and after about 2-3 minutes of roasting them, you can add the tomato cubes. Let the vegetables simmer at medium heat for a good 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and let it come to a boil before adding the fish and shrimps with the entire marinate and juices, which have been produced. Turn down the heat so that the stew comes to a simmer, add some salt, pepper and paprika powder as you feel appropriate and let it all cook together for roughly 30 minutes.
- Add some coriander leave on top before serving.