Inspired by Ottolenghi, I have made my own version of this delicious starter. I served it with pita bread on the first day and then had it as a salad with green leaves the second day. The aubergine will keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days…and they will only get more umami as time passes…
Roasted aubergine with black garlic, pine nuts and basil
- 3 medium sized aubergines
- 120 ml olive oil
- 150 g plain yogurt I used a mixture of Greek and regular yogurt
- 10 g basil leaves tear the large ones into pieces
- 20 g pine nuts roasted
- salt and pepper
Black garlic dressing
- 50 g black garlic cloves peeled
- 1 table spoon rose harissa regular harissa is also fine to use
- 1 table spoon pomegranate molasses
- 3 table spoons lemon juice I also added the lemon zest
- 1/4 tea spoon urfa chili flakes or regular chili flakes
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1/4 tea spoon salt
For the aubergine
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthwise and then widthwise. Cut each section into wedges about 3cm wide and place them in a large mixing bowl along with the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of salt as well as some black pepper.
- Mix well and then spread the aubergines onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper - skin-side down.
- Roast in the 220° C oven for about 30-40 minutes until the aubergines are well cooked and golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
For the black garlic dressing
- Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and with a food processor blitz until you get a very smooth paste. This might seems quite stiff but it will loosened by the water from the aubergines later on.
- Place the aubergines in a large mixing bowl and add the dressing. With your hands, stir very gently as you want the aubergine to be coated without disintegrating completely. Leave for at least an hour to amalgamate. If you can, it would be good to leave them in the fridge for 4-5 hours.
- Spread the yogurt out on a platter and arrange the aubergine wedges on top. Sprinkle over the basil leaves and the pine nuts. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and serve with pita breads.